Boost Your Immunity During the COVID-19
The spread of the COVID-19 pandemic has invoked difficult challenges and experiences for us. With no vaccines or treatments available for the virus currently and rising uncertainty about the coming times, everyone’s attention is moved towards boosting the body’s defense mechanism to reduce the chances of getting respiratory viruses.
Good Diet for Strong Immune System
- Wash your hands properly for at least 20 seconds by scrubbing all surfaces of the hands including the front and back, between fingers and under nails to ensure that you are getting rid of all the impurities or bacteria that you might have caught. Remember to wash your hands after you cough, or sneeze.
- Keep a sanitizer as it is the fastest and most convenient way to keep your hands clean.
- Practice respiratory etiquettes like covering your mouth and nose while you sneeze or cough, or even when you go to public places to avoid catching or spreading any viruses from or to those around you
- Experts suggest that you should avoid touching your face to reduce the chances of getting coronavirus.
- Keep your living space clean and disinfect your belongings, utensils, and furniture to make sure you are not being exposed to any bacteria or viruses
- Reducing stress during such times can play a vital role in strengthening your immune system as it gives rise to stress hormones that tax our immune system. You can release stress by practicing mindfulness, meditating or anything else that works best for you
- Sufficient sleep is significant in not only boosting your immunity but also speeding up the process of recovery if you fall sick. Studies have shown that people with disturbed sleep or sleep disorders tend to get sick if exposed to a virus, at a faster rate than those with good sleep.
- Exercise is proven to help flush bacteria out of our lungs and reduce the chances of getting a cold, flu, or other illnesses. The rise in body temperature after exercise prevents bacterial growth and helps the body fight infections. Exercise also helps in releasing stress.
A healthy diet is the best way to build up a strong immune system. Foods that are rich in protein such as, lean meat, beans, seafood, seeds and nuts help in boosting immunity and healing. Foods containing Vitamin A, C, E, and Zinc help regulate the immune system, stimulate the forming of antibodies, prevent inflammation and help in healing and recovery. Adding honey to your everyday diet can be very helpful as it is a powerhouse of antioxidants and antibacterial properties.
Natural Means of Boosting Immune System
- Self-care is important in creating a safe and clean environment around you that would also boost your defense mechanism and prevent you from catching the virus. Take a bath every day and maintain your hygiene routine. Don’t share towels, mugs, plates or any other thing. Clean and disinfect your surroundings to ensure your safety
- Avoid getting a sore throat or any respiratory congestion and sinuses as these can lower your immunity making you vulnerable to other viruses and diseases. Inhaling steam can help clear blocked nose, and relief flu, or sinus infection